Yesterday we arrived to Almerimar after one month in Sweden.

Bella was covered with brown dust and needed a proper wash.  Next morning we motored over to the Almerimar Marine Service as soon as the washing was done.

Bella ready for new running rigging

Bella ready for new running rigging

Chris at Almerimar Marine Service was waiting and had all the new halyards in a box. At 11.00 they started to change the halyards. I had decided for the same setup as earlier, wire + rope.

Rigger goes up and sort out the halyards.

Rigger goes up and sort out the halyards.

Chris likes pushing buttons.

Chris likes pushing buttons.

Going for Dynema would have saved weight and do not stretch more than wire.  But as we have in-mast furling and furling head stay we decided to stay with wire. For some reason I think the wire is stronger when it comes to shafe and UV.  In best case we take down the sails once/year.

The old halyards are 13 years old and would probably last another 2-3 years. Not a bad track record.

Do not change something that is working is always a good idea.

Another problem changing from wire to Dynema is that pulleys at the masthead probably have to be changed to prevent shafe on the Dynema.

Tomorrow there are some fine tuning before we can put the sails on.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.